Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

What is the best page width?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 11-27-2004, 07:23 AM

Default What is the best page width?

What is the best page width? and how do I keep my store from going beyond that width?
Old 11-27-2004, 07:44 AM

X-Man

It really depends on who your target audience is. What I do is layout my page for 100% width (most of my customers are using higher resolutions) and check that it looks best at 1024 x 768. I also make sure it looks somewhat readable at 800 x 600 but that is a small percentage of my buyers.

A problem we all face is people running legacy browsers, and using small monitors.

800 x 600 fixed (and centered) is always safe, but if you serve a tech oriented crowd, you might be inclined to use my method.
Old 11-27-2004, 08:02 AM

Veteran

This is one of those topics that is highly debatable, but always plan for the worst case scenario.

100% width is always safe, but can create some ugly layouts on laptops and for people who use high resolutions. Drives graphic designers nuts :)

800x600 is still around, but it is becoming less so as most of the major computer manufacturers are shipping computers set at 1024x768 now. You have to assume that quite a few people out there have no idea how to change that setting. Also, keep in mind that when a computer is set at 800 pixels wide, the browser doesn't actually stretch that far. Some people have toolbars or the media browser on the side, which can take some room. So, to be completely safe, use something like 750 pixels wide, centered.

If you want to go by the percentages, 1024x768 is pretty much the standard these days, so set the width to 975 or so to allow for some 'stuff' on the sides.
Old 11-27-2004, 12:29 PM

X-Guru

I'm generally still using 780, either centered or aligned left. Looks nice and all resolutions.
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design