Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Javascript required not a good strategy....

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 12-01-2002, 09:28 PM

Default Javascript required not a good strategy....

Much to my dismay I found out X-Cart requires Javascript after I purchased it. Several current browser statistics show that roughly 10% of users have Javascript disabled. That means that I'll give up 10% of my potential customers if I switch from my current shopping cart to X-Cart.

Before I go through the process of removing Javascript and replacing it with non-Javascript link submissions I want to know if anyone else has already done this? Its a daunting task as there are 67 submit() Javascript references in my skin1 directory but one way or another I'm going to have a shop that doesn't require it (but will support it if available).

Are there any plans by the X-Cart development team to remove this need? I can understand Javascript being required for non-shopping sites but the whole point of E-Commerce is sales ---- would you want to give up 10% of your market?
Old 12-02-2002, 12:51 AM

X-Guru

Just to back ya up:
http://www.thecounter.com/stats/2002/November/javas.php

Could always just run a few regular expressions over the .tpl files, I'm sure some cleanup work would be in order, as well as other aspects of the site that are using javascript, like the register form with the checkemail validation function. Also disabling the product options validation since it uses javascript as well.

I never understood the reason for <A HREF> submit link's vs using a <input type=submit> or <input type=image>

Good luck.
And if you find a quick an easy way to do it let us know.
Old 12-02-2002, 04:52 AM

My plan of attack will be 2-staged:

1. Get the minimum required tags to make a purchased switched over: update card, add to cart, checkout, etc. I'll make X-Cart live at that point.

2. Get the rest switched over.

After that I plan to remove the need for cookies. I'll do this by attaching a session id to every URL tag (actually a bit easier than the javascript since it can be done as a global find/replace). The number of browsers rejecting cookies is even higher than the number with Javascript turned off.
Old 12-02-2002, 05:20 AM

X-Guru

Code:
# grep -R setcookie * customer/referer.php: setcookie("RefererCookie", $referer, time()+3600*24*180, "/", $xcart_http_host); include/get_language.php: setcookie ("store_language", "", time()-31536000); include/get_language.php: setcookie ("store_language", $store_language, time()+31536000); # for one year modules/Greet_Visitor/set_cookie.php:setcookie("GreetingCookie", $first_last, time()+3600*24*180, "/", $xcart_http_host);

hehe,
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design