Follow us on Twitter X-Cart on Facebook Wiki
Shopping cart software Solutions for online shops and malls

Exact templates_c (and sub directory) permissions?

X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design

Old 09-12-2003, 04:46 PM

Advanced Member

Default Exact templates_c (and sub directory) permissions?

OK now, Im very confused. I've been having some problems with my templates_c directory (specifically with https). I have read (and been advised) to remove the old templates_c directory and create a new one. No big deal right? Well, first, I cannot directly delete my templates_c directory (even if I clear the cache first from the Admin/Summary/Clear templates cache AND immediately try to remove the directory), so I renamed it 'trash'. I then created a brand new templates_c directory and assigned 777 as permissions. However, when Smarty creates the directories within templates_c, they are NOT 777 (they are 771)!

So I guess my question is this. Do all of the directories within templates_c also need to be set to 777, or just the main directory? If 771 is OK for the sub directories, then I guess my https problem is due to something else.

As of now, I'm currently taking orders in standard (unsecure) HTTP mode. HTTPS reports many Smarty errors.

Sincerely,
Pipercub
Old 09-14-2003, 08:21 AM

Advanced Member

Well, Shan answered my question in another post. it looks like only the main templates_c directory needs to be set to 777.

This now has me scratching my head about why I'm getting smarty and templates_c errors when I activate HTTPS.

I still have a few days left on my extended support. I guess I'll divert this problem to the xcart team.

Piper
Old 09-14-2003, 08:31 AM

X-Guru

depends if https uses the same files as http

EWD Hosting
Hands On Hosting
Old 09-15-2003, 05:55 AM

Advanced Member

The xcart team had me edit my 'Smarty.class.php' file so that it would create new all directories with 777 permission and all files would have 666 permission. They also had me blow away the old templates_c directory and create a new one.

I guess I didn't realize that Smarty was setting the wrong permissions for my specific server. This whole time, I thought that it was the server that was setting the default directory and file permission.

Anyway, sadly, the changes did not work. The xcart team is now going in to see where the problem lies. I'm still getting lots of errors.

Piper (still optimistic)
Old 09-16-2003, 05:34 AM

Advanced Member

Default SOLUTION!

It works!

Andrey (on the xcart team) replied back to me informing me that the problem was from my safe_mode. The insructions said to ask the ISP to disable safe mode for the secure side. However, I asked my ISP to do this last year (due to another old xcart version issue) and they denied my request. After learning that the problem was safe mode, I did a search here and found the following solution:

In your smarty.class.php file;

change
Code:
$use_sub_dirs = true;
to
Code:
$use_sub_dirs = false;

This change eliminates the subdirectories in the templates_c directory. it seems the only drawback is the fact that there is no organization within the templates_c directory (as if I care).

The reason I'm posting this is because during the hours that I searched this forum for topics with templates_c, I never came across a post regarding safe mode and the solution.

Hopefully, anyone with a similar templates_c problem will now find this post and avoid needless frustration.

As always, if the problem is frustrating, the fix is simple!

Piper (now enjoying an error free site)
Old 11-26-2003, 08:43 AM

Default PiperCub Thank you Thank you

The subject line says it but I'll say it again!

Thank you Thank you for taking the time to post this fix. I read through your thread thought it sounded like my problem and applied the simple fix you mention. My problem was fixed within 2 minutes!

Thanks again and have a wonder holiday season.

Dee
   X-Cart forums > X-Cart 4 > Dev Questions > Changing design