View Single Post
Old 11-25-2015, 06:36 AM

Default Re: X-Cart 5.3 roadmap

The problem now is that you are essentially making devs upgrade. This is how: Check out this module: http://www.x-cart.com/extensions/addons/product-stickers.html. The requirements for this module is X-Cart 5.2. What if a user has a stable store in version 5.1? He can't use any new modules, because you create your modules for the new version.

Do you guys realize that our shopping carts provide finances for our families and kids. You are messing with families and our livelihoods. These carts are not experiements for fun new features. STABILITY IS KEY!

And as I have said over and over.....If you have any custom modules developed by X-Cart and you are forced to move to XC 5.3, all of your custom modules have to be adapted and X-Cart will not give that to you for free. But if I stay at version 5.2.10, then all of the new modules on the marketplace are going to be compatible with only the new version.

At this moment, I regret going to XC5. It's been a month and my support queue is full of bugs and the adaptation of my custom mods to the new version.

I just can't....can't keep going through this! PLEASE X-CART...I'm already getting my cart ready to go back down to X-Cart 4.7. It'll take a while, but for me stability pays the bills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xim
Mike, I remember our dialog in June. Steve, we have taken into consideration your ideas. Here are some facts and planned improvements, guys:

1) You are right. We used to release new versions too often. We had to do it because we got feedback and requests from our existing merchants who had to be provided with solutions for real cases. We just could not tell them “Please wait for six months, guys”. There have always been two sides: developers and merchants. We have to help merchants in the first place.

2) After version 5.2.6 X-Cart became much more powerful and stable, so we were able to change the release procedure. There was only one major update since IRCE 2015 - 5.2.7. The July 5.2.6 release includes bug fixes and improvements of back-end payments and image settings only, no more major changes. The versions 5.2.8-5.2.10 include only bug fixes.

3) We are aiming to offer a schedule of one release per 6-12 months in the future, but at the moment we have to schedule one major update in 3-4 months.

4) In 5.3 we will implement the 4th digit to the core version to distribute bug fixes only. So, an increment from 5.3.0.x to 5.3.1.0 in the version number will mean that the release is a feature update, and an increment from 5.3.1.0 to 5.3.1.1 will mean that it is a bugfix update.