View Single Post
Old 12-16-2015, 08:40 PM

X-Wizard

Default Re: X-Cart 5.3 roadmap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartwellj
The bottom line is that IMHO, X-Cart 5 is about a year away from being really mature. I have mixed emotions on wishing I had waited, but it's over now and I"m in.

Everyone should thank Kev and I for being the biggest guinea pigs and solving all of the bug issues

There is a lot of truth in that statement, a lot!

If I could give ONE piece of advice to anyone considering *migrating* from XC4 to XC5 it would be this - outside of products and categories, DON'T or you will live to regret it! Do not migrate reviews, and especially do not migrate loyalty points, user accounts, past order history, etc. It's 4 months now and we STILL have issues related to the migration. I actually don't even think it's safe to migrate products - start the thing from scratch and you will be WAY ahead in the long run. I would say over half of the issues we have had are in one way or another a result of the migration.

For example: The other day I had 671 product reviews "vanish" during one fix or another (I can't keep track) and there has been no way to get these re-imported from a backup without integrity errors even though the table structures are identical. Some of the reviews in the table are from customers or products we no longer carry, this is causing all kinds of problems and when you have 671 reviews it's not easy to figure out which one's are causing the problem. X-Cart put one of their top people on the job and while they made a sincere effort, to make a long story short I am now manually re-adding these product reviews.

Likewise, if you have customers with multiple accounts or use the same email address more than once (and quite a few do that), this will cause big headaches.

Save yourself from multitudes of support tickets and frustrations by starting from scratch. After you get your development version of the cart ready, Send out a bulk email to all old users and ask them to re-sign up again. Manually re-add any bonus points they may have accumulated (if you use that module). Don't make the mistake I made by trying to migrate!

Currently using 5.2.10 and orders are flowing in. I'm constantly putting out fires (currently dealing with items not being pulled from inventory) but it does work well overall as far as pulling in sales.
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1