View Single Post
Old 04-13-2008, 09:41 PM

X-Wizard

Default Re: [MODULE] XC SEO v1.3.0 Released

Hi deltron, I posted the wrong url, it's actually http://www.xml-sitemaps.com/ (I updated my previous post to reflect this url).

That is a well-done sitemap generator, which provides a listing of all website urls for search engines. It helps get your website indexed faster. Typically once you create your first sitemap.xml file, you notify the search engines that it exists, and then they constantly check that file in the future for updates.

There was an issue where the generator identified itself as "XML Sitemaps.com" or something similar, which X-Cart did not recognize as a bot. This meant that the generator saw all the urls that a user would normally see (which is, more urls than bots are typically shown by XC SEO). Changing the User Agent value as shown, will have the application detected as a bot, so that fewer urls are generated, specifically for use with bots, to avoid duplicate content issues, etc. One user had 300+ urls throughout his website with and without XC SEO. When using XC SEO, and the XML Sitemaps' generator with the User Agent value set to "googlebot", the url count was reduced to only 66!!

Yes, any mods that help you define meta tags and the like, are good mods to have.

I'm glad you like XC SEO and it's speed I've always been happy with it's speed, as it's performance is never noticeably slower than a cart without XC SEO.

Cheers