View Single Post
Old 04-12-2015, 06:28 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: X-Cart 4.7 beta:new skin, in-context checkout, custom order statuses, Smarty v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcsinc
I can not agree unfortunately, not nearly!!
I installed 4.7.1 now in 3 shops and tested it against quite outdated topic installations.....
Update: The new skins deliver heavy pages, 1MB and more, due to 500kB size of the css + js codes loading in the beginning.
I have no clue what good it might be to load such exaggerated amount of css and js but these 2 files 550kB together delay loading for just 200ms.
What delays a lot more is the facebook like button.
I disabled this and decreased the loading time to an acceptable 750ms for a typical product page in one of my shops.
Still I believe light-responsice s far from light in terms of size. It's still delivering XXL pages.
For mobile phone often used with just a 4G or worse connection they are definitely too large. My 4.1.11 dinoaury shop loads much faster and BTW is beautiful wheras the new skin is very difficult to beautify.
Altogether: A big deception, the new skins ideal-responsive and light-responsive. I managed to make my old shop responsive much better and loading in 50% of the time being less then 50% in size.
So, really no need for switching basically. Just considerations of security let me consider the change. But now, having already put 3 months in work into the update project, I am considering to ensure security in the old shops by other means than updating.

Ah, another BTW: Smarty 3 now repalcing Smarty 2 - and loading time higher?? That was not planned I guess.

I am angry, really. Considering to leave x-cart after 10 years. You have messed up your own software.