View Single Post
Old 03-10-2016, 09:57 AM

Default Re: X-Cart 5.3 roadmap

I'm so glad someone else spoke up. I complain on here and it makes it seem as if I'm the only one. The bottom line is that IMHO it is impossible to have an effective website that supports your family and does well and not have customizations. The X-Cart modules are great, but every customer has certain needs.

If you have custom modules, then X-Cart 5 is a nightmare to upgrade and just like kev said, you literally are sitting in front of the computer crossing your fingers and praying that your site works. I do have a dev account that helps the transition, but it's very hard to test everything.

And the idea that you DON'T have to upgrade is completely false. The new updates fixe bugs in the previous version which requires you to upgrade, even if you want to stay on the current version. In my case the Anti-Fraud service is very important as much of my products are digital downloadable and I require it to reduce fraud. So it's either live without an essential part of your cart or upgrade.

Man phil_ how many customizations do you have?

X-Cart if you are listening to anything we are saying: PLEASE STOP PENALIZING YOUR LOYAL CUSTOMERS BY MAKING US UPGRADE THEN CHARGING US A FORTUNE FOR RE-ADAPTATION FOR MODULES.

The other issue is that in X-Cart 4, there were quite a few developers who could do the work cheaper. Even a good PHP guy can find his way around XC4, but with XC5 none of the reliable developers are touching it. There are maybe 3-4 guys that really know XC5.

I know I sound crazy, but I am literally considering DOWNGRADING and waiting another 3-4 years until XC5 is really mature.

So sad that there are not a lot of viable choices for eMerchants!

[quote=phil_]Hi,

I am in the same position as hartwelj, only I have more customisations. I noticed a bug, was told to upgrade, did so and then found a lot was broken when I moved from v 5.2.10 to v5.2.13. However my cost will be in total around $1200 to fix. Count yourself lucky it was only $172 for you hartwellj. It affected my site template, the VAT tax system, and several other customisations. I was just about to go live and then this all blew up again with the move the v5.2.13. BTW all customisations were by X-Cart.