View Single Post
Old 09-29-2009, 03:53 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: Fourth generation e-commerce solution by Qualiteam

As for Ecwid, I just believe that Ecwid is the way to create very efficient, fast and convenient web stores. It's a way to increase reliability and reduce overhead. Of course, Ecwid might currently be perceived as a solution for smaller stores. And it is good for small stores indeed. But the insides of Ecwid are so performance optimized that they actually match demands of high-volume stores as well. Ecwid might currently lack some features that are needed by bigger stores, like product suggestions, upselling and manufacturer tracking. But sooner or later, we'll add it to Ecwid or will just make it possible for 3rd party developers to expand Ecwid with modules.

And we're talking about "sooner" rather than "later". We use AGILE development methodologies with Ecwid. We are focused on delivering new features every 1-3 months.

As for bug-fix releases of Ecwid, there was already one. All stores have recently been updated to fix the bugs discovered in the first day of operation. It's just... Ecwid's updates are seamless. Our tests show that even users who have something in the shopping cart at the moment when update happens, proceed to checkout without knowing they are buying their stuff in a store operated by newer software version.

And... I have to get to it: the name.

Well... it's awkward, I must admit. And the name was my choice. The logic behind choosing this name is simple: it was one of a few SHORT domain names available, not grabbed by the cyber squatters. These bastards are everywhere, and even "megacartpro.com" (sic!) is taken. We have a company policy: never pay anyone who creates a problem then asks money to fix it. No positive response to blackmail, hackers threating to attack, etc... And I believe that cyber squatters are just this case: they grab a domain they don't use, then ask you to pay hundreds and thousands times more to be able to have the domain. I believe that if everyone would followed the same policy of not buying from cyber squatters, they would be gone already. Well, I do follow this policy.

So I decided that nowadays, as most domains are taken (though only a tiny part is actually used), what matters is to have a short domain name, not neccessary meaningful. It's about how long it takes you to type it, not to pronounce it. So, E-Commerce WIDgets (ECWID) was the choice. At first it sounds awkward, even to a Russian ear. But it's easy to type and easy to remember once you know the abbreviation. And there is one more thing about it, first reported by our US tech writers: once you start using it, you fall in love with it

Twitter: @aznakai

Last edited by rrf : 09-29-2009 at 04:11 AM.