View Single Post
Old 12-26-2006, 08:34 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: X-Cart 4.1.4 released

BTW, anyone having difficulty getting the "Image Verification" to work -- make sure the php GD Library is installed on your server.

http://www.php.net/gd

I can't find any references to this in any of the xcart read-me docs, or the x-cart website (the only reference to GD Lib was related to X-Magnifier): http://www.x-cart.com/cart_system_requirements.html

Quote:
Advanced requirements and recommended settings

Certain parts of X-Cart's functionality rely on using external files. Accordingly, your web server must be allowed to run external executable files (like Perl) and to make outgoing connections to the Internet (that is required for online payments). Loopback connections must be allowed by server firewall (required for HTML catalog feature).
The following components may be required:
  • GDLib 2.0 or higher (for X-Magnifier addon).

Well, this should be changed to include "Image verification". X-Cart is trying to charge me 25 support points to tell me to enable GD. I am contesting this as we speak.

[EDITED: X-cart has agreed to not charge me for this "advice". Thank you. They agree that this should be clearly documented.]

A simple, "we failed to put this into our published specs or readme" would have been the right thing to do. Call it a "product warranty issue".

Anyone else had to pay support points for this issue?

I'm a little upset since x-cart is using many of us as their beta site, and then when we report bugs, sometimes we get hit with support points. This is simply wrong.

<rant> Dear x-cart: you can't have it both ways! You can't release buggy products and get early adopters to gamble on using it, and then charge us for fixing your mistakes. Failure to document the code is as much a bug as faulty code. If you knew GD Lib was needed for Image verification, you should have stated it somehwere. Otherwise, you can't be charging your customers to correct your inadequate documentation. </rant>

[EDITED: X-Cart did the right thing and they are not going to charge for this "advice". A reminder to everyone that a forum search is as important as any printed docs. Now we know. ]

Last edited by carpeperdiem : 12-26-2006 at 08:57 PM. Reason: updated after info from x-cart