View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 11:41 AM

Advanced Member

Default V4 - keeping first level subcategories viewable at all times

Hey all,

I'm working with the newest version of x-cart and let me start off by saying that there are a lot of improvements ~ thx x-cart team!!

Now for my delimia. I've made a couple of simple mods to the cart.

http://www.designertrends.com/temp/amish/home.php

The first is simply showing the categories in a horizontal line across the header. Here is the code:

Code:
{* $Id: categories_test.tpl,v 1.23 2004/06/24 09:53:29 max Exp $ *} {capture name=menu} {section name=cat_num loop=$categories} <FONT class="CategoriesList">{$categories[cat_num].category}</FONT> {if !%cat_num.last%} <FONT class="CategoriesList">|</FONT> {/if} {/section} {/capture} { include file="menu_cat.tpl" dingbats="dingbats_categorie.gif" menu_title=$lng.lbl_categories menu_content=$smarty.capture.menu }

The second shows available subcategories (if applicable) where the categories menu would normally go. I inserted a simple if statement in customer/home.tpl which takes the place of the categories include statment. Here is the code for that:

Code:
{if $subcategories ne "" and $current_category.category ne "" and $config.General.root_categories ne "Y"} { include file="customer/subcategories.tpl" } {/if}

You'll notice that I have added a file named subcategories.tpl within the customer directory (not to be confused with customer/main/subcategories.tpl). Here is the code for that file:

Code:
{* $Id: subcategories.tpl,v 1.23 2004/06/24 09:53:29 max Exp $ *} {capture name=menu} {section name=cat_num loop=$subcategories} <FONT class="CategoriesList">{$subcategories[cat_num].category}</FONT> {/section} {/capture} { include file="menu.tpl" dingbats="dingbats_categorie.gif" menu_title=$lng.lbl_subcategories menu_content=$smarty.capture.menu }

If you follow the url I provided, it will take you to the home page. If you click on one of the categories that has a subcategory (books, videos or dolls) you'll notice the subcategories are shown on the left. That all works great and I'm pleased with it BUT when you click on a subcategory such as videos/cd audio, all of the subcategories (cd audio, dvd, video cassettes) under the root category (videos) disappear.

I would like to keep the first level subcategories visable no matter which subcategory you are in.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

uummm...perhaps you should tell me again.

http://www.designertrends.com
Version 4.0.6
Unix