View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 07:57 AM

X-Guru

Default X-cart 5 module developer conflicts

I want to start a thread discussing possible conflicts between modules by third party devs.

Module developers each get an assigned developer ID like BCSE or Justuno that they can use to keep their modules unique and separate in the file structure.

But there are other potential conflicts which could possibly arise. I intend for this thread to help document best practices and avoid these conflicts.

List of potential conflicts (updated):
1. An obvious one is appending your developer id to any database tables that are created by your module. so if you are creating a table for your module named banner_images, put your dev id in front like XXXX_banner_images

2. Another one I just encountered today is targets for admin and customer side. If you are creating a module that makes a new page, the target needs to append your developer id. So if you make a news module like Tony describes here: http://kb.x-cart.com/display/XDD/Webinar+1+-+18+Mar+2014+-+Developing+modules+for+X-Cart+5 the target should probably be --target=tony_news

3. CSS classes and element ids. Good idea to append your dev id to your CSS classes as well as any id names for html elements that you assign.

4. Language labels. Could be a potential conflict if the label already exists.

5. Javascript functions. Append that dev id in your function names..

I'm sure there are other places where this is important, please add yours, comment, and correct me.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.