View Single Post
Old 10-23-2005, 11:32 PM

Default Just a few thoughts

Hi all,

Just thought IБ─≥d add my 2 cents

I just finished adding over 20 custom modБ─≥s to 4.0.16 gold, which I found on this forum and thought I was just about ready to launch the storeБ─╕and now you go and completely destroy my plans!!! Great job on implementing these new features.

When I originally began looking around for a shopping cart I nearly didnБ─≥t buy Xcart because I was put off by the little things I saw as flaws. From a technical stance Xcart is extremely powerful, but from a customers point of view there were some glaring visual, design problems. However, after browsing through these forums I discovered there was a wealth of custom modБ─≥s to overcome most of these problems, hence why I bought the script! What I donБ─≥t understand is why many of these are not already included in this latest program releases.

To list a few things that really bugged me include:

- Have Sub-categories with pictures and description
- Improve the search function that finds phrases in Б─°order anyБ─² (pun intended)
- Remove that blasted Б─°product codeБ─² from the product page (took me ages to find the problem and delete it!)
- Making the Site Title different from the business name (my business has a very long name and needs to be distinguished from the title of the store)
- Remove the use of CSS style and GIF picture combination for buttons (what purpose does this serve, why not just use GIF pics Б─⌠ there are only about 12 different buttons that need to be used and itБ─≥s a real pain to change the button templates to replace the Б─°link (Go)Б─² with just an image. I feel this is very important because it really cleans up the layout of the site, particularly on the Б─°shopping cartБ─² and Б─°wishlistБ─² page.
- Remove the Б─°DefaultБ─² sort option (itБ─≥s meaningless)
- Give customers to option to select how many search results to show
- Have related products with thumbnail and description
- Have thumbnail pictures in bestsellers box
- Option to enable Б─°Detailed infoБ─² in mini-cart box (ie. List of products added instead of just Б─°Items=#Б─²)
- The ability to set admin user permissions to limit/grant access to particular aspects of the control panel in the gold version! This is somewhat used in the pro version but still does not allow an administrator to grant/deny access to particular options. For example, I would like to enable my client to access, orders, users, coupons, gift certificates, and products and not give them access to the other system settings. The only way I found around this problem was to edit a few admin templates to remove the links to the parts I want to restrict. Of course IБ─≥m not actually restricting their access, IБ─≥m only removing the link. This is also a pain because it means I have to re-upload the original templates whenever I want to make system changes!

I can think of many many more but I don't want to bore you!

If, in the designing of xcart, you really cared about the customer experience you would never have put the Б─°WARNING: Antifraud module is not enabled.Б─² on the admin invoice! It is these Б─°littleБ─² things that can become big things to many people and as such they need to addressed seriously.

I am re-iterating some of what Б─°shanБ─² posted, but only because heБ─≥s not alone and maybe there needs to be more people re-iterating the problems so they donБ─≥t get forgotten and ignored!!

IБ─≥m sorry if IБ─≥m ranting but the time itБ─≥s taken to write this is nothing compared to the many hours IБ─≥ve spent moding my x-cart. Basically, it would be nice if xcart was one day released with all the ideas mentioned in these forums addressedБ─╕but then again if that happened any idiot could build a brilliant shop!?!

Oh, did I mention I love xcart!! I know itБ─≥s easy to sit back criticizing and picking out all its shortcomings, but thatБ─≥s really the only way things get improved! So IБ─≥ll just sit here and eagerly await future releases.

All the best