View Single Post
Old 10-15-2014, 08:02 PM

Veteran

Default Re: XC5 uses deprecated code

Ok now this is another piece and exactly what should NOT be happening. This is not nitpicking.

So I am working on a module and I need to load iframe in a popup. XC already includes colorbox and uses it on product details page so this is perfect, exactly what I need as colorbox can load iframe content with very little effort.

So everything coded and testing - what a surprise - my content doesn't load in the popup. I tried everything possible, started digging through the XC code for similar uses, etc - nothing. It shows inline content but not iframe. I spent like an hour and a half trying to make the damn thing work without any luck.

As a last resort I decided to check the actual colorbox.js file in XC as there were no errors showing or anything, just empty content. What a surprise - the colorbox js file supplied with stock XC does not support iframe. Are you kidding me? I have been using this for the last 2-3 years at least with no issues.

So the colorbox version supplied with stock XC5 is 1.3.15 released on October 27, 2010. yes that's right 4 years ago. I would understand if this is like current version or almost current but latest colorbox is 1.5.14 released on Sept 9, 2014, so a month ago. I am not saying QT has to jump immediately on the latest when it is released but at least stay close to latest. 69 versions of colorbox were released after the one used in XC5.

Just tell me I am not right....

Tony

Quote:
This is a time in X-Cart's life when we must rapidly grow and extend functionality. We sacrifice a lot of developer-focused tasks for it, because nobody will care about developer niceties as long as the software does not meet general requirements in terms of functionality.

Things like this do stop the growth and effect functionality. I did sacrifice a lot of developer-focused time just because XC5 uses sooo old piece of code when newer one is available. There is no excuse for that. I wrongly assumed stock 3rd party software used in XC5 is up to date or at least close to what's current.

Now I have a ready module which partially does not work. I can't load another copy of colorbox on top of the existing one as this will create a conflict and none of them will work. I can't replace the one that comes with XC5 because with next upgrade my copy will be overwritten...

So what do I do?

Well lets decorated Gallery class to remove stock colorbox.js and css and add newer version through my module. This works but for something stock I shouldn't have to go through this right...