View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 04:51 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: Rich Google Search Results module released

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky
Jeremy, the installer is the same as for all other modules. First of all it checks whether files can be patches and then it patches them. Or offers to overwrite them if files can't be patched.

I reckon that it's much more professional to have an automatic installer rather than a manual one (as third-party modules). A user just need to launch a script via web and the module is installed.

As for the partial patching, we will take it into consideration and try to improve it, thank you for suggestion.

Alexander,

The Rich Google Search Results installer is NOT like X-Cart "upgrade" installers (which I have used countless times)... The upgrade installers patch what it can, then displays a list of "can not patch" files. We can then edit the files manually, and alter the file.lst to exclude the manually patched files.

What makes the "manual" installers superior to a partial or incomplete automated installer -- it's a sure thing. There is total transparency -- we know where every file is placed or modified;

Your installer did not tell me what was installed. Then it forced me to abort the process since at least one file could not be patched automatically. I have no idea if all the files were installed or not. I don't know if the sql patches were run or not. Your installer may be fine for an unmodified xcart, but let'sd be realistic: the customer who will install this is generally NOT going to have an unmodified xcart. SO now your automated perfect installer is useless for the bulk of your customers. THIS module demands a manual installation that is professionally documented.

The 3rd parties are smart -- by providing detailed installation documentation, if you simply follow the instructions your module will install perfectly. You know exactly what files are being added. You know exactly if you've installed the patches correctly or not -- if you go down the checklist, it's a done deal. Look at a WebsiteCM or AlteredCart installation -- it doesn't get more clear. This is once again a case of "look, my son is only one in the parade marching in-step"

If your installer raises these questions, maybe the installer is defective?