View Single Post
Old 04-27-2009, 08:55 AM

Default Re: Let's Talk AdWords: How to Install the AdWords Conversion Tracking Code in X-Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixa59
Thanks for this it seems to work great. however i have have commerce tracking enabled in google analytic and the e commerce conversions always seem higher by one or two transactions than the conversion reported in ad words directly. Is this normal. Which should i trust

Fantastic, I'm glad you found it helpful.

AdWords and Analytics reporting use two different tracking methods, so the answer is "they're both right" . AdWords cookies last for 30 days whereas Analytics cookies last for 6 months. How the visitor last entered your site can make a difference. For example:

Let's say a visitor clicked on your AdWords ad, visited your site but didn't purchase and left. Later that day he search "your site name" into google, clicked on an organic link and purchased an item.

This would show up as an organic sale in Analytics, but it would also show up as a conversion in Adwords for the keyword he clicked on.

Use them both together but don't take either as 'exact'. Also, out of the box the X-Cart code for Google Analytics doesn't always work correctly so that could be an issue as well.
  • Certified Landing Page Optimization Expert
  • Certified Conversion Optimization Master - Market Motive