View Single Post
Old 09-08-2006, 05:15 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: 4.0.x performance improvement

Quote:
Originally Posted by balinor
Wow...quite impressive! Makes you wonder how many other code blocks exist that shouldn't exist

I would guess 20% of the code can be eliminated. That guess is not based on anything more than a hunch. Not based on scientific info, or knowledge of the codebase... I'm just picking a number out of my a$$.

I must say that I have had 3 specific instances of learning about certain code sections in x-cart that are all about supporting legacy OS configs... at the expense of security and speed.

And I'm a rookie. Imagine what a pro could find...

One thing I'm learning - there are SO MANY varieties of unix/linux and so many variations, how can a developer keep up? And versions of php and mysql - and it's more than that... within newer versions, the end user can modify the active directives and turn it into whatever they want...

So X-Cart has to over-code to consider every possible config.

In a more perfect world, X-Cart would make a version of their cart that runs a specific minimum config, and that's that...

Ralph, thanks for your contributions. Although I'm running 4.1, it's nice to know that you're hanging out.