View Single Post
Old 02-23-2018, 05:22 AM

X-Adept

Default Xcart 5 benefits over Classic

I have a bit of a dliemma as our ageing 4.6.1 needs to be upgraded so as to work with a PHP version that has some longevity, either PHP7.1 or 7.2.

I have been mulling over whether to pay a fair amount of money to get it upgraded to the latest branch of Classic, which only gets me pretty much what I have already albeit up to date...only to go through the same process in the next few years when PHP changes etc

Is 5 more bulletproof in this respect e.g. does it make it easier to upgrade, maintain, make everything work together? I've been with Classic for many years now and dread the upgrade as inevitably a third party mod is not supported, developer has gone bust/moved on etc and consequently costs an arm and a leg to get it updated. I'm trying to compare whether the investment in getting migrated to 5 and its consequent costs and what look like recurring addon yearly costs isany better than what I would get by using the same money to upgrade to the latest branch of Classic.

Or, god forbid, look at something completely different e.g. some cloud based cart where I don't have to worry about the underlying service architecture!

Dan

and