View Single Post
Old 10-31-2022, 12:27 PM

Veteran

Default Re: X-Cart 5.5 Is Out! What's New?

Ok here is the latest. It is a nightmare to get this thing working. At least what's my experience with it so far. And still not fully tested.
My local env is running PHP 8.1.x. With XC 5.4.x I just have a line in htaccess to direct it to use PHP 7.4 and all is good. This does not work with XC 5.5.x installation as it runs from the command line and webdir htaccess doesn't matter. So I had to switch PHP cli too. Which means I have to constantly do this while working on different sites and XC 5.5.x - not a good thing.

But that's not all. In order to run the app after installation you have to modify the web server config - not the htaccess which doesn't even exists with XC 5.5.x but the actual web server config. So you have to have access to that or ask the host to do it for you. I do have access but then since it is a local machine with many sites and I use directories not individual web server configs I didn't want to mess up with that right now. There is a way to still direct XC 5.5.x through htaccess but not everything is working properly. And the admin side complains about that even though according to the docs it should work.
The docs are lacking tons of info so good luck getting everything in order - tons of time to experiment and fix every error/complaint.

So far really not a good experience with XC 5.5.x.
XC 5.4.x runs under PHP 7.4.x and MySQL 8, and it has been out of years so as less bugs as possible.
XC 5.5.x runs under PHP 7.4 or 8 and MySQL 8 - so just about the same. And it just came out. With drastic changes, ssh access required with possible web server access required.

All this is not necessarily a bad thing but I just don;t see why anyone will want to go through all these trouble at this point to upgrade to the same server environment which soon will be out of support anyway.
Until XC 5.5.x is PHP 8.1 and 8.2 ready I don't see the point. At least I guess I can start working on some module adaptation despite all the going back and forth between PHP versions.

Adding the Symfony debug bar is a nice touch but then I would expect form a stock installation to be free of errors. Yet it is not - every page I loaded shows some DB association or mapping errors. Also get we get the debug par page to load in new window/tab when clicked?

** Edited **
Spoke too soon about the PHP version - both cli and web must use 7.4 or 8 in order for the cart to fully work. After switching cli to 8.1 I tried removing modules from admin (web) however it threw up an error and until I changed back the cli PHP version I was not able to complete the task.
So back to - XC 5.5. must be able to run on PHP 8.1+ , until then I'll just wait. Hoping this will be soon.