View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 07:31 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: Tired of how X-Cart handles product options?

I watched the whole thing and was in agreement with all the flaws mentioned about the built-in variant system until the actual module functionality was discussed.

How typical is it that you would actually want variants of a product to show up as a single product? To me, that is horrible from an end-user perspective. If you are searching for a product, you would then have to sift through the product times the number of variants available. For example, if you are selling T-shirts, you wouldn't want separate product listings for every variation, you would want a single "parent" product and all the variants to be listed within that product page.

From an admin point of view, you wouldn't want to manage duplicate product descriptions for every single variant, as if it is a product like a T-shirt, you would have to update the description for X amount of variants if there was a typo in the description. Note, I am not bashing this module, just trying to see in what situation it would be beneficial.