View Single Post
Old 11-16-2008, 03:24 AM

X-Adept

Default Re: X-Cart 4.2 beta testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulcan-works
Can someone tell me what the point of the "Product Image" is?

1.The image is scaled to the same size of what a thumbnail would be, but is not processed so you end up with whatever size(kb) you uploaded.
2.Its only gets displayed on the product page where as a thumb shows with the list of products and the product page.

I realize you can generate a thumb from it now, but thats such a round-about way of doing it. And the thumb is not shown on the product page even after generating it, so you still have the bloated "product image" there.

Why cant the thumb be processed directly when uploading it, skipping the "product image"?

It would be nice to upload ONE hi quality image and have it be used to generate a detailed image and a thumbnail.
The "product image" could be made useful by not using it on the customer side at all and generating a detailed image and a thumbnail from it.

That would save me sooo much time, eliminating the need to run each image through photoshop twice to get a thumb and a detailed.

Just a thought....

There are three image types in x-cart:
Thumbnail = small image used on category pages.
Product Image = Medium sized image used on actual product page.
Detailed Image = Used in the detail images section of the product page or in a pop up and now with 4.2 when rolling over the small versions of the detail image larger versions replace the product image.

I personally don't use the same image for all three so doing it on the fly wouldn't work for me but for many people loading one big image and having that scaled down by the server would be nice.