View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 01:02 PM

X-Guru

Default Re: Fashion Walk - NEW Responsive Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpeperdiem
Or is the point of responsive is there is only one template for all screen sizes? If that's the argument, then a different menu technology must be used for smart phones, right?
Jeremy,
The major point of responsive is not just phones and tablets. Its 1366x768 vs 1024x768 vs 1440x900 vs 1920x1080 -these four resolutions comprise about 60% of the global internet usage today. The other 40% is about half smart phones/tablets and half irregular sizes, super small and insanely large. Responsive allows you to deliver an optimal experience at any size.

To me, responsive also means "responsive" as in responding quickly and nimbly, not just adapting to the window. And it means that touch should be considered as well as click and hover, swipe gestures on slideshows, etc.

And yes, you need to provide a different navigation system for phones. I can't see that as a problem, it's a feature. Well designed responsive sites can adapt different elements to provide the right experience.

I do advocate responsive design. IF you are designing a site in 2014, and you do not consider responsive then you are missing the boat. I don't think that you need to choose responsive or mobile, there is absolutely no reason that you cannot do both and allow your user to choose their adventure.

-Sorry for the thread hijack, Will.
Mike White - Now Accepting new clients and projects! Work with the best, get a US based development team for just $125 an hour. Call 1-502-773-6454, email mike at babymonkeystudios.com, or skype b8bym0nkey

XcartGuru
X-cart Tutorials | X-cart 5 Tutorials

Check out the responsive template for X-cart.