View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 09:48 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: Fashion Walk - NEW Responsive Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaltec
I think you need a javascript "switch" that completely changes the menu. When width = 350px hide the regular xmenu and change it out for a drop down select box with hierarchy for different sections. That's what I would do at least, I'm sure you have considered it.

And Mike, I know you are an advocate for Responsive design, but for some types of design and desired interface, a "different but equally functional" design or interface for smartphone is not such a bad idea...

What you are suggesting is exactly why I did not go "responsive" for my current store-- but instead I am using TXS xTreme AND xMobile (for smartphones only). However, my integrated wordpress blog is a responsive theme, and honestly, it's ok -- but the choices the theme designer has to make to squeeze the menus into the smartphone is essentially a different theme, with some common elements. It's basically 2-1/2 designs and 2 entirely different menu systems. But share common colors and design concepts.

If you are going to invent a different menu technology for smartphones, what else are you going to reinvent for the small screen? By this point, you are designing 2 templates with common thematic elements.

I say there is nothing wrong with a dedicated (or add-on) mobile (smartphone) theme/template/interface and x-cart makes it so easy to have that.

Hey Will -- here's a business opportunity for ya... optimize Fashion Walk for smartphones with mobile-friendly menu-ing and interface, and sell it as an add-on. Steal (use) some xMobile concepts, or use what you learned from xMobile and make another product. But for thematic consistency, make it an add-on for Fashion Walk. Or is the point of responsive is there is only one template for all screen sizes? If that's the argument, then a different menu technology must be used for smart phones, right?