View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Banned

X-Adept

Default Re: Smart Search from alteredCart :: Spell Checking, Did You Mean? and More.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcg
I ran a search query for "rail construction" (without quotes), I had 4 search results but none related to specific product "8Ft 3S-Design Flat Column 3S100 by Ll Building Products" which the description had these two words -just not together.

Then I tried a couple of typos "rai construction," and also "ornamental Iron" didn't return results either, simple typos can cost a sales.

Btw, I'm not promoting Smart Search, there is an excellent free search mod in the forum, besides you mentioned you had server load issues, just that I was curious to see Google's search solution and how it worked with x-cart and just posting my observations.

Sorry didn't mean to go off topic.

Just a FYI. The Smart Search is based on an entirely different search technology than the X-Cart search. The Smart Search would:

1. Automatically suggest the correct spelling.

2. Use a language based search that would rank results based on word density, and would not require the user to enter the exact phrase, or exact order of the words. And would also automatically assign a words 'weight' by its field placement. (If the word 'rail' was found in the title it would rank above a product where the word 'rail' was in the description.

3. Significantly reduce the load on a server while searching. The Smart Search is being used on sites with 80,000+ products and searches usually take less than a second. (Of course, this requires a server that is capable of handling 80,000 products to begin with).

And yes, a discussion of the Google based searches probably should be a new topic.