Thread: 3.4.0 Released
View Single Post
Old 05-21-2003, 02:21 PM

X-Adept

Default Re: :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by linasg
I'm very sad... At this moment I'm finishing one store based on xcart 3.3.5 and now I see that there is new version... I've made a lot of changes and now as I see I'll have to do it again....

I feel somewhat the same, though I've been modding this cart long enough now that I've learned to wait for several new releases before upgrading. Having a cart that gets updated by the developers at such a rapid pace is a double-edged sword, but I find it beats the hell out of the competition's release and update schedules. Often you can just grab particular files from the latest update to patch just the important features that need patching on your version (if you know PHP). My cart is running parts of 3.3.1-3.3.4 and I'm quite happy to see all the new features in the latest version. Still not looking forward to rehacking it, but it gets easier with each new version. I hope the ultimate goal for the x-cart programmers is to completely modularize the modules so they can simply be installed/removed in a manner such as PostNUKE's module system. That's my only real gripe at this point. We need single-directory installs for the module architecture. Preferably the system would register standardized modules and then use an engine that didn't rely on modifying dozens of files for integration, but would function more like the plug-in architecture from programs such as Dreamweaver or Photoshop. I've seen other PHP-based CMS that have pulled it off and I'm certain the x-cart team could do it. It would probably be a non-upgradeable change to the code-base though....eveyone would have to do fresh installs and relearn how to mod the cart. Anyway, I'll shut up now and start playing with the new code!
Getting back into x-cart dev after a long hiatus. Modded lots of x-carts from version 3.1.x to 4.1.x. Developer of ImageScaler mod, Pre-login per user coupon mod, Wordpress feed mod, DigitalSubscriptions mod, Phonetic bulk download keys addon for DownloadExpander mod, Serial Number Generator for ESD products, Custom CMS/LMS integrations, external products mod, and more.