View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 05:45 PM

Advanced Member

Default Re: New Release: xCMS - Blogs, Information, News, Articles and more!

I just bought it too. I'm hoping this mod will increase our google rankings once we begin adding lots of articles, blog content, etc. to the site. It is a nice looking mod. I've only been using it for a little while but here's my feedback so far.

Pros:
- support is excellent (really - very fast and helpful)!
- interface is user friendly
- very flexible in terms of setting up your own categories and subcategories and arranging them in order, etc.
- flexible in terms of what you would like to display on the home page
- ability to add pictures
- ability to link "related item(s)" from the store to a particular blog or article (this is a bidirectional link which also shows on the product page - very cool!)
- wysiwyg editor for blog/article entries
- integrates nicely with CDSEO Pro (it creates seo friendly urls for your blog entries automatically, etc.)
- offers rss feed option

Cons:
- there's no option to have thumbnail images for articles, which means I've spent a lot of time re-sizing images in photoshop to get things looking "clean" and symmetrical - it seems to me this would be easy to add because x-cart already has the ability to do this, but I'm no programmer so I'm not sure.
- when you add a "related product" it doesn't display the product images thumbnail size the way they appear in the product listings, it shows them full size for some reason. This means if you use x-cart's automatic resizing for your product thumbnails (which I do, see the above mentioned dislike of resizing stuff in photoshop) all the previews of your "related items" will have large images.
- no option to have tags for entries the way you do in Blogger
- no option to order blog entries or articles - they are sorted by date. This is a bit of a pain because if you edit something it resaves it as the first (or most current) entry. There is the option to order the categories the way you like so it would be nice to add it for the entries as well.
- no option to subscribe to blogs by means other than rss (email, "following", etc., although maybe these things are particular to Blogger? (sorry, I'm not that blog savvy!)
CDSEO Pro
Altered Cart On Sale
Kosmos Gift Registry
BCSE Shipping Per Product
What's New
xCMS - Blogs, News, Articles