View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 11:41 AM

X-Adept

Default Re: Gdpr - upcoming law for European merchants

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinrm
We don't have to comply and we can still accept orders from the EU, that's the point. I am not European, I don't live in Europe, if European customers find me online and wish to purchase from me that's on them, I am not beholden to the EU. They cannot enforce this. No, I doubt they can cross borders and impose fines on non Europeans in other countries, it's a scare tactic. About the only thing they might be able to do is prevent non-compliant companies from shipping into their countries, good luck on that. I'm calling the bluff...

Really ? you may find that is not the case, if you sell to EU customers - they have the weight of the EU behind them. So on a larger scale if you live in Canada, then Canada as a country agree to adhere to GDPR (as they as a country want to trade with the EU). If they are not GDPR friendly , protect scammers & criminals etc then things will become rather uncomfortable for them.

From what I understand - this is enforceable locally, so it wont be the EU taking you to court - and you wont have to attend a court case in Brussels etc - but you may find yourself in court in your own city.

I understand the issues (and agree with some of them) but in their defence the EU are standing up to scammers, fake rip off businesses, and also for their own citizens rights to privacy - which includes the right to be forgotten etc.

Now this is going to become interesting as to what the US Govt think with regards to the Patriot Act (and another US law whose name escapes me). Google in the EU in Dublin MUST conform to GDPR if they want to trade in the EU. The US Govt seems to think it has jurisdiction over Google whatever country they are trading in.

Ive been going to various GDPR meetings in the UK for some months both with the ICO Information Commissioners Officer (GDPR enforcement) and various GDPR law firms - I only go - as it is provided as free advice.

If you are in the UK and want some contacts - please PM me. It's complicated but you can make sure your boxes are ticked if you follow the processes and go through the checks / compliances etc