View Single Post
Old 04-18-2008, 04:37 PM

eXpert

Default Re: MagneticOne Store Manager for XCart

Magnetic one has some interesting software that does work good for the most part. I have the store manager, and use it when updating a large number of products.
I also purchased the Magnetic one banner system to see if I would like it.. I gave it a test and the one thing that concerns me is the ET call home feature ... whereas it has to check with the magnetic one server to see if you license is valid.... several times I got emails saying my license was no good or invalid. The peculiar thing was that it thought it was installed in the forums section of my site.... which does NOT even exist (forums.mysite.com)
I understand that its a good idea to license mods, and encrypt them, but having call home functions on an ecomerce site is just a little too creepy for me.... There is too much for sensitive data and customer info that I protect with a vengence.... having software that connects to another server is just asking for trouble in my opinion... 1. it relies on the other server to always be up, and that the internet connection to that server always be available, 2. if the license host server were to become hacked, I want no part of being connected to it in that case. 3. I have no idea what information is being querried from my database thru such modules.

Encryption would have been the better route to go.
I have disabled and removed the banners module in its entirety and will probably look for a different solution, and limit my time with store manager because there too is a constant live connection to the license server