View Single Post
Old 11-16-2005, 02:13 PM

eXpert

Default Re: Worth having ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H
I have a version 4.0.15 of xcart but haven't got around to going live so is it worth waiting for this new version to arrive fully tested and debugged or just carry on with my current version. The one thing that sticks out is this easier checkout routine. Once I have gone live with my store I won't be upgrading it ever due to the huge amount of hassle it would be.
So YES or NO is my non programmer question ?

Paul,

To give you an idea of how long it may take for 4.1 to become stable, it took 4.0.x over 9 months, and 3.5.x about 6 months. I don't remember the times for 3.4.x and 3.3.x So 4.1 is still in beta, I would estimate 6-12 months for it to be come "stable" This is just based upon past history. I could be wrong. I'm sure they'll have 4.1.0 out (non-beta) well before then, but it usually takes many months for a new branch to be considered "stable" and mostly bug free.

So really it depends on when you want to open.

I'm hoping they will take their time to get this first version out, and have it mostly bug free from the start. So that they aren't "fighting fires" and can concentrate on working the hopefully small remaining bugs out.

On upgrading, for me, that's no big deal. But I've done countless upgrades for people. From 3.3.5 all the way up to 4.0.16 Upgrading can take someone who knows what they are doing, from as little as 1 hour to do, to 10's of hours. Just depends on how many versions your moving from/to and how much your store is modified.

Hope this helps.

Carrie

Thanks for the answer -again !
I should have my shop front design sorted soon and I will be paying your shop a visit for some add ons, probably all of them !

I noticed you have a printable catalogue mod and that's just what i'm looking for you must have read my mind ! Does it work well ?