View Single Post
Old 09-18-2008, 09:00 AM

eXpert

Default Re: Improved Search Function

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madhatterr
Hands down I have to agree that xcart's search just doesn't do the job completely. With 19,000+ items in our store we get all manner of things come up when a customer does a search and not all of them are the right things... in fact sometimes a customer will have to dig through pages of crap to find what he/she was looking for.

Any chance we know the search engine corrections listed here will work with 4.1.8? I'd really be grateful to anyone who can provide me with the information.

Kind Regards,

If you have 19,000 items, you should really look into one of the following solutions:

AlteredCart's Smart Search for X-Cart

OR

Nextopia's E-commerce Search

Altered Cart should drastically speed up searching on your site, and the results (for the most part) are much better than those with the stock X-Cart search, which is not at all forgiving to those who don't search with just the right terms. It will run you $149 and all of the processing is performed on your own server (but it's still a LOT quicker than the default search, even on a shared account).

Nextopia, in my testing, was quicker and produced better results (it can be customized much more than Smart Search, and out of the box the algorithm just seemed to be tuned better, at least for our site). The searches are run on their own site and the information is transferred back to your website via xml and displayed within your sites template. In testing, it was quicker for me, but not by a lot, and I'm not sure what the real-world results would be. The downside is that it costs much more - $995/year. It does have additional features and add-ons not available in Smart Search though, so depending on your budget and your sites traffic, it may be worth the price (especially if you feel some of it's features could lead to higher conversion - which I think is the case for at least some types of sites).

IMO, small changes to the default X-Cart search are akin to putting lipstick on a pig.