View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 05:17 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: Determine the customer country from the IP address

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsecror
You'd actually be better off using the GeoIP service for that, however I should note that those types of lists are not generally accurate due to how often IP blocks are sold and resold and information is not updated. In either case the GeoIP service from Maxmind is better (there's a PHP extension for it).

If you want to use this modul just for the statistic, than it's better to use some external tool, for example GeoIP. But, the difference between this modul and external tool is that you can use this data in php and generate pages depending of the user country.
For example, if you have multilanguage site, this modul will choose the right language depending of the user country and in combination with multicurrency modul, which you can find on the same forum, it will choose the right currency for the user.
You can see how it works on my web site www.smee.com. If you are coming on the web site from US, the language will be English and the currency will be US$. If you are coming from Germany, the language will be German and the currency EUR.

Regards,
virtual@croatia

Modules I made:
IP_Ranges
Multy_Currency
Order_Dates

Modules I use:
Fancycategory
Magnifier
Survey
AOM