View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 10:54 PM

X-Man

Default Re: X-Cart v4.5.4 released

"Upselling (sometimes "up-selling") is a sales technique whereby a seller induces the customer to purchase more expensive items, upgrades, or other add-ons in an attempt to make a more profitable sale. Upselling usually involves marketing more profitable services or products but can also be simply exposing the customer to other options that were perhaps not considered previously. Upselling implies selling something that is more profitable or otherwise preferable for the seller instead of, or in addition to,[1] the original sale. A different technique is cross-selling in which a seller tries to sell something else."

Here is an up-selling example. You are inside a product page and see a jacket which costs 200 USD. As a seller I show you other 3 - 4 jackets, pretty close to the one visited, but with prices more expensive, around 250 - 300 USD. My intention is making you to buy those expensive, for more profit. I could use fear to the customer that a product is not better than the others, just for spending more money on those I want to sell, or I have in stock. Another example: you buy a software and there are options for upgrading 1 year, 2 years - this is a "soft" up-selling, a normal one related exclusively to that product. As a person who graduated in marketing techniques when I'm visiting a store I watch how the products are promoted - always a big fish has people who are working for increasing the selling. It is a pleasure for me to see how smart they are. As a conclusion Up-Selling must be used very precaution.

We are posting inside a thread about a new version 454. Let's talk in details here about selling techniques: http://forum.x-cart.com/showthread.php?p=348318
OS in use: Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Kali Linux
Ideas for Server configuration (basicaly): Nginx/Pound (reverse proxy), Apache/Nginx (webserver), Squid/Varnish (cache server), HHVM or (PHP-FPM + PHP 5.6 + opcache), MariaDB/Percona MySQL Server, Redis (storing sessions)

You can catch my ideas here: http://ideas.x-cart.com