View Single Post
Old 04-28-2008, 06:00 AM

X-Wizard

Default Re: X-Cart 4.1.10 release candidate testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambal
I guess you mixed up things (an installation package for pure installation and upgrade pack for your current X-Cart version) a little bit.

The upgrade packs contain .DIFF files only.

Alex, I didn't get anything "mixed up", I work with upgrade packs and new installs all the time, it's easy to tell the difference.

Please see the attached screenshot, it's taken of WinRar viewing the contents of Upgrade_from_4.1.9_to_4.1.10_rc1.tgz

Note that some of the X-Cart folder structure is reflected, along with an "upgrade" folder that is where the DIFF files would reside.

Now, if a *new* file is being distributed with the upgrade, then I of course expect that file to be packed in the upgrade, but if existing files are being modified, then that should solely be DIFF files only, which is not 100% the case here (note: in the screenshot, you can see check_requirements.php and prepare.php, 2 of the files I listed as needing DIFF files)

So again, is there a specific reason why certain files are being overwritten? Are these files that are too important to be patched? And why would files be included that have only had copyright date changes in the license at the top of the file?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambal
I want everyone to note that upgrade packs were created for upgrading unmodified X-Cart as it is impossible to create upgrade packs which will be able to upgrade smoothly open source software which can me modified in any way.

While the upgrade packs are created from, and intended for, unmodified versions of X-Cart, the beauty of DIFF files is that they can still patch a highly modified file as long as the surrounding lines of code can be found around each patch section. This is one thing I've always liked about X-Cart, the fact that it essentially encourages customization and that Qualiteam provides patches for updates instead of entire files intended for overwriting.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg proof_xcart_upgrade_no_diff.jpg (61.7 KB, 63 views)