View Single Post
Old 01-26-2009, 01:59 AM

X-Cart team

Default Re: The future of X-Cart and LiteCommerce

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
Does this mean that the new cart will not be compatible with the existing software and we will have to AGAIN start from scratch (the shop interface)? What about the database?

You don't need to migrate to the new platform. Moreover, if your X-Cart store is working and generating sales I would recommend you to stay with it.

If you decide to switch to the new platform, we will provide you with a script importing data and settings (that apply) from X-Cart 4.3 and LiteCommerce 2.2. However, most likely, there will be no such a script for templates and custom mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsonwebhosting
I know the nightmare of customers trying to migrate from LiteCommerce to X-Cart Gold - will there be a conversion program also worked on? The expense of moving from LiteCommerce to X-Cart v5 will likely leave a lot of users NOT upgrading. One of the big expenses being the conversion and importing of products. Templates we can re-do, no biggie, but the importing of products and customer data and variables etc - that's going to be key.

Will QualiTeam also be working on a conversion tool?

Such a tool importing data and settings (that apply) from LiteCommerce 2.2 will be available starting from X-Cart 4.3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomobile
A major part of our back end is being able to export customer orders to a csv file. That we import into Access. Will this new version be able to do this?

We haven't decided yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomobile
Also, will there still be support for 4. versions?

Right now we are at a crossroad, where we will be deciding it x-cart is really the way to go, or should we be looking at another option.

Yes, we will fix bugs (if any), provide technical support, custom development and web-design services to X-Cart 4 users. However, most likely, new features won't be added to X-Cart 4 but the features that will appear in X-Cart 4.3.

If you would like to start a new online store, you can start it with X-Cart 4.2/4.3 and make profit before we release the new cart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by am2003
Will be X-Cart v5 Object Oriented Programing? I hope not. Putting AJAX you will have to make it OOP.

We haven't decided yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kulture
It seems to me that Qualiteam have just made this descision. As such they are saying that they are going to start a brand new cart. Fine. A very good idea. In any IT development the first stage is to document the user (our) requirements. Then to prioritise the requirements; then design a system to fulfil the selected requirements; then build it (then TEST etc etc).

Are we, their customer base, going to be asked to list our requirements, to actually say what we want? I would be prepared to spend time on this IF I could be assured it was worth it.

Are they going to list all our requirements and get votes or something, to get an idea of who what wants what etc? Are they going to involve the large customer base and listen to us, get our help, so that togther we can develop the best ever cart?

Yes, we surely will ask you to share your ideas and thoughts. I will consider possible ways and let you know details in a couple of days. For now I would appreciate if you do not discuss your ideas here.