View Single Post
Old 08-29-2012, 05:44 AM

Default X-Payments/X-Cart Future Compatibility

Alex,

I have another concern with using x-payments. (BTW, I have just installed 1.0.5 along with x-cart 4.5.2 for a new project and had no problems with the install once I got my SSL cert.)

My concern is with future upgrades and upgrade paths if I really go with x-payments. I was talking with Steve of cflsystems who is so much more knowledgable of x-cart and upgrades than me and he was not sure either. However, he seems to believe the following:
PCI compliance will require future upgrades of x-payments within some specified time. It may be 30 days, it may be 90 days, but it will be required.
Now my concern. It's not easy to upgrade x-cart when you are talking about major versions. I had almost completed my new store on 4.4.5 when I decided to scrap it for 4.5.2 and basically start over.

Using x-payments will I find a day when a PCI required upgrade of X-Payments will necessitate a major upgrade of x-cart to continue working? My concern is that because the upgrade of x-payments will be required in a limited timeframe, I will find myself scrambling to upgrade x-cart at perhaps the worst time when I have so many other things on my plate. A time when I had no plans to upgrade x-cart.

I would think this has to be a real concern. So can you say X-Payments going forward will always remain backward compatible with say x-cart 4.5.x and forward?

Thank you.