View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 09:12 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: X-Payments Fatal error: Access to undeclared static property:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambal
> can you share any other known issues with php 5.4.x and x-payments 1.0.6 ?

This is the only one we believe. Generally speaking this is a sort of typo in our code that all PHP versions before 5.4 allowed and thus we didn't stumble upon it during our tests before PHP v5.4 was rolled out.

Alex,

I know there are many moving parts, and 1.0.x has been replaced by younger, thinner, and better looking, but I would imagine that there are still more than a handful of stores running xp 1.0.x --- and for something as mission critical as a typo that will kill x-payments if server is upgraded to 5.4.x, wouldn't it have been better to email a hotfix to all current owners of 1.0.x ?

I know this is not X-Cart's way -- but maybe it should be?

IF you discover a defect, why not publish it?

Before I permitted my server manager to upgrade to php 5.4, I looked at system requirements and I looked at all release notes for x-p 1.0.6 -- and there were no published mentions of this very easy to fix but mission-critical defect.

WHY not add this to the system requirements? Or better yet, email a hotfix to all -- because this fix is benign in php 5.3, there is no reason for all 5.3 owners to not just do it. They will have to do it when their server goes to 5.4 (at the latest in mid-2014).

I know hotfixes are not part of the X-Cart way, but maybe you should think about publishing a list of these? It would reduce the number of 911 calls you get. And you would have a cover-your-ass link, "did you apply all the published hotfixes before you broke your cart?"

How many servers will be upgrading from php 5.3 to 5.4 -- I bet many in the coming months... so IF YOU KNOW that something is broken in X-Payments 1.x, why not share this with everyone?

Just saying.
I hope you feel better soon.

Jeremy