View Single Post
Old 06-18-2012, 11:36 AM

X-Wizard

Default Re: Install Xpayments on development site?

Thanks, Ambal. for confirmation that for people using shared hosting accounts, X-Payments should be installed under a separate hosting account or separate server .

Have you considered adding this recommendation to the on-line installation instructions and README that comes with the distribution?

I did not see the separate server or hosting account advise from QT until April this year in the forum. I did not notice it in the FAQ until recently - but it may have been there all along.

It is an important point - and it also could help increase the demand for you to make available hosting for X-Payments.

It seems that it would be a good idea for you and/or other recommended hosting providers to set up a VPS or dedicated server with only accounts with X-Payments available. They could all default to be subdomains of a domain you acquire, for example, myusername.secure-x-payments.com. You could even offer the ability for people to set up cname or a-record at their own registrar to use secure.mydomain.com so they could keep their own URL branding. An individual could acquire this at a cost much less than their own dedicate or VPS account.

I do agree with your frequent advise that small businesses seeking to keep their costs very low need to adapt to the PCI requirements perhaps by using hosted payment processing. But I do find many people trying to hang on to hosting their own payment page. Some do have your generously offered free X-Payments license from last year. And - if you come up with a hosted X-Payments solution that is much less expensive than getting their own VPS - it could become popular?

For new people, the X-Payments cost is daunting - so maybe we will be lucky and your experience of providing a hosted X-Payments for the existing users can demonstrate that you can offer an entire X-Payments hosting package at a low enough cost.

---