View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 07:24 AM

X-Adept

Default Re: Pricing changes once v4.4 comes out

Quote:
Originally Posted by joncampbell
I think that is where you are wrong. Upgrades may be free for the X-cart licenses but again and again we hear store owners discussing the amount of work it is to upgrade a customized site from one version to the next and we know how much of a pain it is to go from one version to the next. If the upgrades themselves were somehow seamless I am sure THEN you could charge for each upgrade.

But that's true of anything. If you customise something beyond its factory defaults then you cannot expect the next official update to work out-of-the-box.

I could get many of the features I wish for by going customised but I know I'll be opening up a can of worms keeping the site stable and spending a small fortune on developer fees.

This actually opens up a whole other topic regarding x-carts customer base.
It seems to me that a huge part of that customer base are developers who manage carts on behalf of the customer.
I on the other hand am not a developer, I'm a business person and that is my focus. I handle the day to day running of my cart including, where I can, updates and some maintenance. Where I can't I use QT support.

What I have felt for far too long is those of us like me, who are hands on business people are generally ignored. Perhaps that's because I'm on Litecommerce and if/when I move to x-cart 5 I hope QT will give a bit more interest to the part of their customer base who actually use the product to run a business.