View Single Post
Old 06-11-2013, 05:38 AM

X-Wizard

Default Re: Consider further search optimization, hesitate between MySQL LIKE and ▒FULL-TEXT▓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksenia
1) you commented on one limitation only, what about others?
2) would you prefer to use Full-Text search instead of current one, assuming that you can switch here and now ?

Answer into inquiry 1:

I really cannot comment more because again my knowledge and experience with RDBMS fulltext searches is extremely limited due to the availability of other targeted technologies. I merely commented on the fact about the 1,000 search result limit because that shouldn't be a factor, large search result sets are not necessarily better because a larger result set can mean that the search is not finely tuned correctly.

Answer into inquiry 2:

To be honest I don't know enough about how MySQL's FullText search works to give you honest and concise answer. For search we've always used technologies specifically built for it such as Sphinx, Apache Solr, Lucene (note: both Apache Solr and HawkSearch are Lucene based) and Amazon Cloudsearch since when it comes to search having stemming, faceting, synonyms, term vectoring (especially term compression) and etc because as far as I know RDBMS fulltext search doesn't facilitate these (someone correct me if I'm wrong) and that's important in e-commerce search.