View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 12:50 PM

Advanced Member

Not to be pessimistic, but Б─°stable versionБ─² doesnБ─≥t seem to mean that much around here. The Б─°stable branchБ─² has been plagued by as many bugs as the 4.0.x branch. You still have to continually update due to bugs no matter what branch you are using, or at least until you come to a version that doesnБ─≥t have bugs that affect you specifically. I mean, 3.4.x didnБ─≥t really get what I would consider worthy of being called Б─°stableБ─² until like 3.4.12 or so. It looks like it will be the same story for 3.5.x. I suspect after about 14 or so releases of 4.0.x, it might become stable.

Honestly, I think this stable branch thing is a bit deceiving. Just because it is called a stable branch, doesnБ─≥t mean there wonБ─≥t be umpteen more upgrades with a whole butt load of fixes that affect a lot of people. I think the 4.0.x branch shouldnБ─≥t have been released until now, when 3.5.x is actually becoming a mature, stable release and relatively few updates will need to be released for it. I only pray this will happen with 4.0.x so that when it is actually stable, THEN and only then the next development branch come out. That way when you say you have a stable and a development branch, the Б─°stableБ─² branch really is stable and few or no updates will be needed after that point. I think this would create considerably a lot less frustration for those of us that have tried to use either branch, just to be plagued by errors either way.
MySQL client 4.1.20
Web server Apache/2.0.52 (CentOS)
Operation system Linux
Perl 5.008005