View Single Post
Old 02-26-2019, 03:33 PM

Veteran

Default Re: X-Cart 5.4.0 Technology Preview Release

First impression without digging in too much. FYI environment

Core version: 5.4.0.1
PHP: 7.2.15-0ubuntu0.18.10.1
MySQL server: 5.7.25-0ubuntu0.18.10.2 (InnoDB engine support enabled)
Web server: Apache/2.4.34 (Ubuntu)
Operating system: Linux
XML parser: found
GDLib: found (2.2.5)
Translation driver: GetText
Curl version: 7.61.0

All PHP errors, warnings, notices set to show.

1. Changing admin.php and cart.php names has been in config for some time now. But it is a manual change. I was hoping to see this as part of the installation process. Just like other carts do it.

2. I have mentioned this few times already but here it is again. SEO aliases in config - keep them consistent and use dash not underscore. Instead of

new_arrivals = "newarrivals"
sale_products = "sale_products"
coming_soon = "coming_soon"
bestsellers = "bestsellers"
contact_us = "contact_us"

have

new_arrivals = "new-arrivals"
sale_products = "sale-products"
coming_soon = "coming-soon"
bestsellers = "bestsellers"
contact_us = "contact-us"

3. I am not sure I like this - service.php ? What is the purpose of it? Any good reason to separate admin into multiple areas like that?
The "return to admin" link is really small and hard to find.

4. admin.php?target=safe_mode - 404 page not found error

5. Payment methods list - all offline methods have
Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /classes/XLite/Model/Payment/Method.php on line 398

6. Payment methods add popup - all show
Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /Includes/Utils/Module/Registry.php on line 249
Notice: Undefined offset: 1 in /Includes/Utils/Module/Module.php on line 74

7. PayPal Credit payment method page - is this really necessary - "I agree with PayPal terms & conditions"?
Why is XC trying to enforce an agreement with PP terms? This is up to PP and merchant. No?

8. admin.php?target=origin_address - the state dropdown moves to its own row instead of to the left of the label

9. Translations page

10. Storefront - Menu items still do not convert to clean urls wihtin the menus.

11. Storefront - Weight and Sku are still under description tab on product details page. These 2 attributes absolutely do not belong there. They should be under Spects or where product price is.

12. Storefront - Apply coupon field still shows at the very bottom of the page even below checkout button. Not sure what is the logic behind this. It doesn't make any sense.

This block should be well visible and definitely above the checkout button.

13. Storefront - Checkout page, new account. No address. Address Book link opens a popup just to tell me there is no address. I have to follow another link inside the popup to add an address. It will be useful and logical in this case if the popup opens "add new address" automatically instead of requesting yet another click.

14. Admin - Purchases page, middle of page

"Uh-oh... You haven't bought anything yet." with a sad face
Really

15. Admin - Updates & Upgrades shows as text

[empty-upgrade.info]

And a general complaint about all the unnecessary modules included, installed and active during installation. Remove them. The installation package size will be smaller, there will be no confusion if something works or not, and user will get only whatever is needed.
It makes absolutely no sense to have Australia Post, Canada Post and USPS active at the same time.
Color Scheme module is not active but Concierge is active...

And by the way Concierge module must be opt-in not opt-out. Most users unfamiliar with XC will never notice it or remove it or whatever which opens their carts to data collection from QT. This module should be off the installation package or at least user should be asked at time of installation if they want to install and activate it. There is no warning or notice about this module at all.

This is just first impression with stock installation. I did not bother much of checking functionality right now.