View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 03:52 AM

X-Guru

Default Re: Abandoned Cart Reminder module released

Quote:
Originally Posted by cflsystems
This is personal opinion. As a customer I either buy right there on the spot or not bother to even put in cart at all. For so many years I have probably abandoned cart at checkout 2-3 times only and probably that was because there were surprises at checkout... which means no matter how many emails this cart will send me they will be deleted without even opening them...

At the Affiliate Summit conference, I was bombarded by abandonment-solution companies, the most evil being, <upsellit.com>

Upsellit has cursor tracking tech and if if your cursor comes within a few pixels of the close box, a popup appears.... they also have "if you leave the page, a popunder with your cart appears" -- and they also have a live chat feature -- if your cursor appears to be leaving the cart - the chat popup appears. ALL of these technologies would piss me off that I would never buy from these stores.

There are many companies that are doing similar things...

OTOH, I have the Checkout_One tools from AlteredCart -- and that does have abandoned cart tech -- but I will never use it... but it is useful to see the frequency of abandoned carts and try to learn WHY a cart is abandoned... in my case, more than 50% of the time, my customers come back and check out within a week. Initial abandoned cart was due to distractions (baby, husband, The Bachelor, etc...) - and a percentage search for a coupon code, then checkout.

MY POINT -- abandoned cart best practices (and technology) are best left to a 3rd party if you want to go there... doing it yourself is like doing your own email auto-responders/mailing list or building your own affiliate network. Technically possible? Sure. Functionally competitive? Not a chance.