View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 08:02 AM

X-Guru

Default "Credit card owner:" is a USELESS field for USA credit card processing

I am in testing on my new and improved checkout -- and I just happen to be using test names for transactions -- but I am using my real name for "Credit card owner:" in the X-payments input filed...

AND I AM noticing that the "Credit card owner:" name doesn't transmit to the gateway.
Hmm...

So I started to ask around...

I called FirstData -- the largest card processor in the US.

Me: does the "Credit card owner name" field get sent to the merchant account/gateway and is it needed for authorization?
FDMS: it's not used, not required. the ONLY fields we look at are the billing name/address, card#, expiry and CVV. if your shopping cart is collecting the "Credit card owner name" it is useless data.
Me: please repeat the last thing you said -- is the "Credit card owner name" useless for card processing?
FDMS: Yes.

Then I called Elavon, also one of the largest card processors in the US:

Me: does the "Credit card owner name" field get sent to the merchant account/gateway and is it needed for authorization?
Elavon: it's not used, and not required. the ONLY fields we look at are the billing name/address, card#, expiry and CVV. if your shopping cart is collecting the "Credit card owner name" it is useless data.
me: Why do many shopping carts ask for this information?
Elavon: Many years ago, it was used for verbal authorizations - now it appears to be just a speedbump. There is no practical purpose for collecting this information.
==========

Um, X-Cart - why are we collecting USELESS data from the customer if the credit card processors are not asking for it?

Didn't you guys pay $$$$$ crazy money to PCI SAQ firms to guide you on this?

Let's do a roll call... everyone reading this should take 3 minutes, call your merchant bank. Ask them if the "Credit card owner:" field is used or required.

I am not talking about "Billing name" - as that is what X-payments is sending to the gateway... It appears that X-Payments is simply parsing the billing first/last and placing it into a field called "Credit card owner:" - but it has no useful purpose.

Then why is the field editable?

Make things EASIER for the customer = higher conversion rates

If the field is meaningless for actual authorization, then the field should not be displayed to the customer (or it should not be editable).

Yes?