View Single Post
Old 01-28-2005, 03:04 PM

Advanced Member

Default Help Creating Dynamic Menu

I have been playing around with this for a little while now, but cannot quite get it to do what I want.

Code:
{capture name=menu} {if $active_modules.Fancy_Categories ne ""} {include file="`$fancycategories_config.modules_path`/fancy_categories.tpl"} {else} {if %position.first%} {if $config.General.root_categories eq "Y"} {section name=cat_num loop=$categories} {$categories[cat_num].category} {/section} {/if} {else} {if $subcategories NE ""} {section name=cat_num loop=$subcategories} {$subcategories[cat_num].category} {/section} {/if} {/if} {if %position.first% eq ""} {if $subcategories ne $location[position].1} {section name=cat_num loop=$subcategories} {$subcategories[cat_num].category} {/section} {/if} {/if} {/if} {/capture} { include file="menu.tpl" dingbats="dingbats_categorie.gif" menu_title=$lng.lbl_categories menu_content=$smarty.capture.menu }

That is everything in my Categories.tpl file.

Now for some explanation (what should happen):-

When you first enter My Store, you will see the main categories horizontally laid out across the top as follows

Root Cat # 1 Root Cat #2 Root Cat #3

When you go to page level Root Cat #1 the menu should change too

Root Cat # 1 Root Cat # 2 Root Cat #3

RC#1 Sub 1 RC#1 Sub 2 RC#1 Sub 3 RC#1 Sub 4

Now when you enter RC#1 Sub 2 (equilevant of sub-level 2) the horizontal menu should change too:-

RC#1 Sub 1 RC#1 Sub 2 RC#1 Sub 3 RC#1 Sub 4

S1 1 S1 2 S1 3 -----[sub categories in RC#1 Sub 1]

Now if you enter S1 1 the top part of the menu would stay the same but the bottom level would then show, if any, the further sub categories.

Now there are the following issues:

1. Telling on HomePage to only show Root Categories

2. On Sub Cat 1 level there should be:

Top Level Menu - Shows Root Categories

Bottom Level Menu - Shows Sub Categories

3. When you enter Sub Category 1 level the Top Level Menu would take that of Sub Cateogry 1 level and no longer Root Categories, but from here on, Top Level Menu should always stay Sub Category 1 level.

But the Bottom Level Menu will continue to change when the subcategory levels get deeper.

So you could have this scenario:

Top Menu : Sub Category 1 Level

Bottom Menu : Sub Category 5 Level

Now at some point you will reach the last sub category and when you view that, the Bottom Menu should display the last Sub Category.

I hope you understand what I am trying to achieve, as what I have done so far is on the track but has not gone far enough down it yet.

I have also drawn a pretty picture which I have coloured in on paper of what it should look like, but my scanner has developed tendencies to show anything scanned in as bright pink. So I cannot show you my wonderful masterpiece.

Jez