View Single Post
Old 11-19-2015, 12:42 AM

X-Wizard

Default Re: How is everyone migrating customers and orders to XC5?

It can be done, I did it, but I regret doing it. I used Cart-2-Cart. If I had to do it again, I would use X-Cart but even there, I still wouldn't do it again. It's okay to migrate products, categories, etc, but when it comes to customers, orders, user accounts, and ESPECIALLY bonus points, reviews, testimonials, etc, etc, it's very difficult and you will probably encounter errors for a long time. I did this in September and I'm still dealing with bonus points and user account issues (especially if the customer had multiple accounts). The migration did not transfer ALL of the customer orders, only the last one, and your customers will be constantly asking you what happened to their order history, why only one order shows up, etc, etc. The bonus point system is way more complex now (I mean as far as how it's set up in the databases) and order history must jive with earned points, etc, etc.

It's my opinion now that it would have been way easier to just have my customers re-sign up with new accounts and to manually add any bonus points they may have had, as they request them.

It's also my opinion that XC5 wasn't really ready for full commerce until the current version 5.2.10. If you have a new store, this is the way to go. If you have an established store with 1000's of customers, consider starting from scratch and sending all your customers an email asking them to re-sign up again.

I have been using XC since version 3.4 or so, how far does that go back? Perhaps 10 years. Trying to migrate from XC4 to XC5 was easily the worst experiencing I ever had with this cart. Now that I have done it, after 2-3 months of sleepless nights I am finally enjoying the benefits of XC5, and there are many. I DO like it, it's super easy to upgrade or add modules. If you want to keep up, you will eventually have to do it sooner or later. It's just a matter of how you do it. So my personal advice only - consider starting from scratch.
Apache 2.4
CENTOS 7.8 64Bit Single Quad-Core E3-1241v3 3.4Ghz 8M 1600 w/ HT
32GB RAM 2x 512GB Samsung 850 Pro SSD RAID 1