View Single Post
Old 06-12-2013, 12:35 PM

X-Guru

Default Re: Janrain Engage integration module available

I just had a 45 minute conference call with a Janrain product manager and a Janrain engineer.

We learned that X-Cart has failed to implement the social sharing integration as it was designed by Janrain and the social sites.

Here's how it should work:

Scenario #1:

Customer decides to "register" for the store. They want bonus points or coupons or free stuff. They are on the X-Cart login page: /login.php
They use social login (janrain).
At this point, the system will tell the customer if it needs missing info, such as email (if they used twitter) or missing info that social didn't pass along (another issue, xcart should get as much data as social networks share, it doesn't seem to share very much).
The customer SHOULD NOT have to type in a password, and captcha is meaningless if they are coming in from a social site with a password. The customer should simply press "Submit" and their account is now created. No need for a password. At this point, there is a user account, logged in. This is what it should be. If the customer logs out, then returns to the store later, and then logs in using social, they will be logged in, and their account will be tied to the social network they logged in with. That's the way it's supposed to work.

UNFORTUNATELY, X-cart does not do it this way.

In 4.5.4, X-cart brings the customer to the registration form, and STILL WANTS the customer to provide a password. ??? WTF? Now, if the customer just IGNORES the password required request, and just completes the registration, the customer is then logged in. Hmm... yes, account created based on their email address, but the password comes from social.

This is very busted.

THEN - if customer goes to checkout while logged in, all is well. Or of customer logs out, then uses social to sign in at checkout, all is fine.

The DEFECT is at registration.

I am trying to test this in 4.6.0, but there are https issues and I need to spend more time on this.

IS ANYONE ACTUALLY USING JANRAIN social login?