View Single Post
Old 01-30-2009, 06:19 AM

eXpert

Default Re: The future of X-Cart and LiteCommerce

We're struggling with the same issues. One of our stores is built off of 4.0.x and it's starting to get pretty tired. We were planning on upgrading in the 1st quarter, adding in some of the newer features, smoothing out some of the processes that were pretty rough in 4.0.x, etc. Once we put in the effort to upgrade, I'd like to run the store for 2-4 years without having to put the time/expense in to upgrade again.

I understand many people will argue the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" line, but that's a cop out really. When using old software forces more challenging business processes/less ability to accomplish what a business currently needs, but the upgrade path is so difficult/expensive, it leaves you with some real thinking to do. Add in rapid fire expected future upgrades where there is no real upgrade path in and it leaves us really wondering if we should wait and have stagnation of our business in several areas or forge ahead and pay through the nose to have work done, done again, and then redone for a third time.

On the flip side, I'm very happy that Qualiteam is aggressively looking to improve their product. It's just the process of getting from point A to point
B that may be a little rough.