View Single Post
Old 11-11-2008, 12:12 PM

X-Adept

Default Re: X-Cart 4.2 beta testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim
I am a bit confused about how the membership function is implemented, basically "why" it's restricted to one membership per customers and then ability to asign one or many membrships to products and categories. In my view it would really be much more usefull the otherway around... is this something that has been up to discusion? As this is something specifically needed on the customerside, could it be possible to have both, to not break current functionallity, something like Customer Group?

To me it's much easier, and more efficient I think, to asign a customer to one or more groups which then defines what categories and product are availble to him. The logic is quite simple, a product usually belongs in one category, or it cannot be a book and a CD at the same time, but a customer may like to buy both a book and a CD. Of course both the book and the CD can be on the same subject so to speak but isn't that what Categories are for?

A single Book could be in multiple categories such as:
Books
New Books
Action Novels
Clearance

I personally think that the current set up works but is not implemented as thoroughly as it could be. There should be member level control in more places such as coupons.