View Single Post
Old 06-06-2008, 07:25 AM

Advanced Member

Default Re: [PATCH] Blocking those pesky hackers

Well... as I posted earlier, Windows servers do not use the .htaccess file at all. My understanding is that when something is added to the stop-list, xcart adds it to the .htaccess file. Is that wrong? In any case, my stop list never worked until your mod came along. At that point, while testing, I found that my manually added IPs still didn't get blocked, but yours actually works! I've always had to go into IIS and block IPs 1-by-1 or by group. Pretty monotinous. That's why I changed it to block status 'M' instead of 'H' YOURS works, xcart's doesn't. This GREATLY simplifies blocking malicious IPs for me.

As for the label, your mod labels it nicely as a hacker attempt. When adding an IP MANUALLY, it just says "Added by Administrator". I wanted a way (since I'm blocking the manually added IPs as well with your mod) to have blocked IPs that were added automatically by the mod to be labled as hacker attempts like you have it.... and the manually added ones to say "added by administrator". By changing the H to M, it labels the automatically added IPs by your mod as "Added by Administrator". The same as a manual add. I want to separate the two and have different labels. But remember, with the way I changed it to work for me on our W2k3 server, ALL blocked IPs are called by M. I wanted them to show in the list as blocked by whoever blocked them (the mod, or manually)

Hope this makes sense...