View Single Post
Old 11-13-2005, 09:12 AM

Default Re: Worth having ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H
I have a version 4.0.15 of xcart but haven't got around to going live so is it worth waiting for this new version to arrive fully tested and debugged or just carry on with my current version. The one thing that sticks out is this easier checkout routine. Once I have gone live with my store I won't be upgrading it ever due to the huge amount of hassle it would be.
So YES or NO is my non programmer question ?

I'm a fellow non-programmer as well. Or, although I maintain my own store, I'm far less technical than the majority on this forum.

Whether or not you move forward depnds upon how quickly you want to get your store up and running. If you're in no rush, then wait. But if you want to get started before the new year, then I'd suggest using the 4.0.x series.

I plan to move to 4.1.x as well, but I won't upgrade to the newest "bug free" version right away. I will wait at least 3 to 5 versions down the line before I move forward. That will ensure a truly "bug free" (relatively speaking) cart. And that won't happen until spring of 2006. (I perform version upgrades very sparringly, the thought of disrupting sales due to technical difficulties scares me.)

Lastly, a fresh install on a new server rather than upgrading an existing account is the way to go (imho). Just install, configure, transfer your DB, redirect your URL, and you're on your way.